Sunday, 16 August 2015

The Tale of a broken Quilt

This week marked my first experience with a quilt casualty. One of my dogs had ripped a big whole in one of my quilts. (my first quilt that I ever made actually)
And we have the guilty culprit here trying to cover up the whole and sulking.
I am not he most experienced of quilters as yet and have only been quilting for a little over 2 1/2 years  but this is how I choose to fix the problem and I am more than thrilled with how it all turned out. In actual fact I love it even more now than before. Nothing beats having your quilts being used and the birth marks that they receive are a sign of well loved and used quilts.

First of all I cut a piece of batting to fit inside the whole as the dog had ripped a chunk of the batting out as well.
 
 
 
 
Then I inserted the batting into the whole and I whipped stitched the whole closed. (nothing fancy cause it will be covered up)


Then I made myself up a flower template and cut out a flower motive more than big enough to cover the area and I tried my first hand at needle turn applique and appliqued it on to cover the hole




Then I decided that it just needed a little bit more so I decided to add some hand quilting with perle 8 thread and I was so happy that I decided to as I feel like it really finished it off.



And this is what my finished product ended up looking like and I was more than happy with how it turned out and think that the repair worked brilliantly. So if you find yourself in the same predicament ( which hope no one ever does) don't panic there might be some way in which you can repair it.



Later on that night when I got up to check on everyone I found that we had our guard cat on duty to make sure that there were no naughty puppies to make the same mistake twice.