Tuesday 14 June 2016

Sparkling star dust quilt

As part of the modern quilt guild we had the option to sign up for a fabric quilt challenge last year. We were sent the fabrics at the end of July and they were the Michael Miller Glitz fabric collection. We had until November to create something that suited the fabrics and then enter them into Quiltcon.

 
 
 


 


We were aloud to add a Michael miller solid fabric to what we were making so I choose to use the black from his collection. I went back to basics and started designing a few layouts in a normal grid book. Then later that night as I was trying to go to sleep an idea popped into my head and I knew instantly that was going to be my design.



I started by cutting a background square of 1m by 1m and I used my herra marker to draw crosshatch lines 1 and 1/2 inches apart  on my background fabric and then basted my quilt sandwich as per normal.





Once my quilt was basted I used 2 different tones of a gold embroidery thread and I quilted the crosshatch lines using a star decorative stitch that I have on my machine.






After it was all quilted I used the Michael miller glitz fabric collection and cut out a shooting star which I used a raw edge applique technique to attach to the quilted background fabric. I also cut some extra stars out of the glitz fabric and placed around the shooting star.





I added in some extra stars for a bit more bling by using some star buttons that I had and painted them with a gold textured nail polish and a top coat.





I added some gold thread hand embroidery to the star and finished it off with a 2 tone flanged binding using the star stitch in gold embroidery thread. I love how the finished product turned out and I really enjoy making these challenge quilts because it pushes me to think outside the box and create something unique.


No comments:

Post a Comment