Tuesday 6 October 2015

Embroidery/ quilting hoop holder

Today I have another exciting tutorial for you. I have had this on my to do list for a while now. My sewing room is very small and limited on space so as my stash of supplies grows (you know the fabric and stuff we just have to buy) the less space I have to work with. So I am constantly trying to come up with ways in which I can make things pretty but still functional. I really needed somewhere to store all my embroidery hoops but I rent a house with double brick walls so putting something up on the walls is not a feasible option for me, so I came up with something that I could screw to the side of my cabinet and I love how it turned out.

I started out by getting a piece of 9mm MDF cut to fit the size of the space that I needed it for and then I spray painted it with 2 coats of a matt white spray paint.





Once that had dried I then used a ruler and masking tape to mark out spaces. I just chose random width's but if you want them even you could also do that. You can see in the picture below how I have done that.




Then I used 5 different colours of a water based paint and painted mine like a rainbow as you can see from the pictures and once again this process also took 2 coats of each colour.  After the paint had dried I peeled off the masking tape. As you can see on one of my colours it peeled a little bit of the paint away, you can easily go back and touch that up with a small paint brush. Then I applied 2 coats of a clear water based varnish just to seal it and stop it from getting chipped as much.






I used 3 coat hooks. The ones I used here were bronze in colour and I wanted mine to be black so I used a matt black can of spray paint and gave them 2 coats of that including the screw's. ( Tip for painting your screw's, poke them into a box so that they are much easier to spray paint.)




Then once everything was completely dry I worked out my placement for my coat hooks while it was laying down on a flat surface and placing my embroidery hoops where I wanted them and then marked my spots for the coat hooks.  Once I  worked that out I had my husband  hang it on the side of my fabric cupboard.  I am so pleased how this little project has turned out and my stash of hoops now fits perfectly.




Thanks for reading a take care lovely people.

No comments:

Post a Comment