Thursday 10 December 2015

A quilty christmas tradition

I started quilting almost 3 years ago. In January 2013 and that year I decided to make my first Christmas quilt. I made myself this String (strip) quilt using Christmas fabric's and I added a little bit of aqua and turquoise into it because I added that to my Christmas colour scheme that year. It was my first large quilt that I had completed since I started quilting earlier that year.













After that I decided to make it a Christmas tradition to make at least one Christmas quilt each year so that eventually I would have them to pass on to my children and grandchildren ( down the track).


Last year I made this quilt. Dec-ade the halls which is a free pattern from Fat quarter shop and you can find the link HERE if you are interested in making that quilt. I had so much fun making that quilt and I am so pleased as to how it turned out. Last year I had this quilt hanging on my wall through the month of December.








This year's quilt is "have yourself a merry little Christmas" from Lori Holt. I did cheat  a little this year and I had all the blocks pieced together and all I had left to do was the borders, quilting and binding. I love this quilt and how it turned out, it's so cute. This year this was the winning contender to be hung on my wall for the month of December.









 
 
 
 
 
 
 


But this I have also managed to make 2 more Christmas quilts this year. They were nice quick ones which didn't take too long to put together.

I put together this quick little '12 days of Christmas' quilt by using a quilt panel and adding a couple  of borders. I love how it turned out and it's so fun and bright.







Then I also made up this quilt for our bed "Merry snowball" which was my own pattern design. It also came together really quickly.  I love how I have managed to add 3 new Christmas quilts to my collection this year and I am hoping that next year I can make just as many by working on Christmas projects all year round.








I plan to continue this tradition hopefully as long as I am quilting and hope that it will be something special that will get passed down through the generations and become a keep sake.

I am interested if any of you have a special Christmas tradition. So please leave me a comment below and let me know I would love to hear it.

Take care and I hope you are all having a great month leading up to Christmas and things haven't gone too crazy and hectic for you.

Happy 10th day of Christmas. Take care and be merry.

No comments:

Post a Comment