Sunday 6 December 2015

Vintage Window chalk board DIY

I have been dreaming about making this for so long now and I have had the old vintage windows sitting around just waiting for me to do something with them. We found them over a year ago in a curb side clean up and my plans have changed several times as to what I was going to make with them.



What you will need:

 An old vintage window or you could always buy a picture frame.

Chalkboard paint

chalk

A large bow and some extra ribbon (and any  other decorations for decorating)

Hot glue gun and glue sticks

Scissors

Paint brush

Masking tape

ESP - which is a product similar to primer to prep any surface like glass so that paint will stick.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start by making sure that your window is extremely clean. I then used a product called ESP (easy surface preparation) to prepare the surface. You wipe it on with a clean cloth and leave it for five mins then go back and wipe off any excess. Once you have wiped off the excess leave for 90 mins before painting. Then masking tape off your outside edges of your frame like so (or anywhere you don't want the chalkboard paint to touch).





Then paint your glass of your window with the  chalkboard paint. You will need to do 2 coats of paint, letting them dry between each coat. I then let mine dry for a good couple of days overnight before decorating it and writing on it. I also decided to paint the edge of my frame with turquoise paint I only used one coat of this but you could leave it the vintage look. (which I originally planned on doing but some of my chalkboard paint seeped through the tape).





Once it is ready for decorating, hot glue your large bow  and any other ribbon and decorations of your choice to the top of one side.






Then all you need to do is add your message with chalk to your new chalkboard.



Enjoy. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment